I’ve realised that we are well into courgette season and whilst this great, Laing staple, was posted on our Fit School newsletter, it didn’t make it into my blog. I’ve been making and eating this a lot during my early months of pregnancy when I needed tasty, easy to digest recipes. So here it is:
Every year, in August, courgette production in the Fit School family allotment (actually it’s my mum and dad’s but they’re part of the picture) goes bumper! So we have a wealth of courgette recipes to handle the glut. From courgette pasta (it makes a fab pregnancy friendly carbonara), to courgette muffins great for kids and our all time favourite, Courgette and Egg Bake, taken from the Primal Blueprint cookbook.
1kg courgettes, grated
3 large free range eggs
200g ground sausage meat, bacon, sausages or beef mince
1 onion, chopped or grated
Parmesan or pecorino cheese to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180/GM4.
- Cook the chopped onion in a pan with some olive oil for 5 minutes or until soft and tranlucent.
- Add the grated courgette to the pan and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Drain the courgette and onion mix in a large colander.
- Meanwhile brown the sausage/bacon in the pan (chopped).
- Add the drained courgettes and onions to the pan and pour into a greased, oven proof dish (around 20cm square).
- Beat the eggs and mix into the courgette and sausage mix.
- Grate the cheese over the top and pop in the oven for around 35-40 minutes.